Discover more from Sharon Hurley Hall's Newsletter
Things I'm saying no to
I’m republishing some of my social media content - this was posted on LinkedIn earlier this year.
At the end of 2021 I was burned out. At the end of 2022, I was sick. Things will be different this year. I have learned that there are things I have to say no to:
- Nopertunities: Requests that are extractive and requests for freebies. I already provide free articles in my paid newsletter, and plenty of information right here on LinkedIn. I can’t do any more.
- Overcommitment I cannot read everyone’s book, post, or article, watch everyone’s video or listen to everyone’s podcast. It is unrealistic to think I can.
- Unpaid labour, especially emotional labour. If you saw one of my recent posts, you know that like everyone, I have bills to pay. I have to cut down on the freebies to bring in the impact, ease and abundance that are mine by right. (Yep, those are my words for 2023 and beyond.)
There are things I’m saying yes to, too:
- Continuing to do the work I’m called for via Mission Equality, my book and newsletter. For avoidance of doubt, that work is promoting equality and doing my part to end racism by using my gifts of writing, teaching and facilitating. I’m anti-bigotry, just so everyone knows.
- Help from others in the form of opportunities to promote my work (I promise that a conversation with me brings value)
- Well paid speaking gigs and events - at the right rate, one of those a month would change my life - and podcast appearances
- Being in community with others of like mind, such as committed anti-racists and people trying to make an impact and change the world for the better
How are you switching things up this year?